Blog Header

Blog Header

Friday, November 16, 2012

Psych Ward: A Vilanelle

A dressing gown, a light, and fresh-cut grass–
My vision flashes red, my body shakes,
My heart, a stone, this cell made out of glass.

They gave me yellow pills that taste like brass,
And Betty brings me Salisbury steak,
A dressing gown, a light, and fresh-cut grass.

Before they brought me here I’d sit in class,
And hark, what light from yonder window breaks
A heart, a horse, a cell made out of glass.

They said hallucinations usually pass
Within a day or two. Can’t stay awake...
A dressing gown... a light... and fresh-cut grass?

A storm of convict thoughts that flee en masse
From there within my mem’ry’s lucid lake–
A heart, a shout, and pounding on the glass,

And leather straps, syringes... laughing gas.
And later on the aide will feed me cake,
A dressing gown, a hall, and fresh-cut grass!
Within this mind, this cell made out of glass.

2 comments:

  1. I can't decide whether this is funny, or...slightly disturbing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I wrote it, I intended for it to be more unsettling, but I wanted there to be some lighter moments in it as well. Also, I was playing with some literary devices like zeugma just for fun, and that ended up in a funny line or two. Thanks for reading!

      Delete