Blog Header

Blog Header

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Thoughts on Gay Marriage

As many of you likely know, over the past few days, there has been a lot of hubbub about the Supreme Court's hearings on 'gay marriage' cases, one of them centering around California's highly-controversial Proposition 8 and the other addressing the equally-contested Defense of Marriage Act. You've likely seen a lot Facebook profile pictures changed to the red and pink equals sign over the past day or so, and you'll likely see a lot of heated arguments-- I use that word intentionally in favor of 'discussions'-- on social media platforms over the next while.

I wanted to do an overview of some of the rights that LGBT (Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender) activists are seeking, and I'll add my thoughts on each as I go. Then, once I'm done with that, I'll blah-blah for a little while about what's going on between my ears in terms of the question in general. If you stay for nothing else, at least skip to the end and read the last three or four paragraphs worth of closing commentary. I get less long-winded as I write, so you have a better chance of it being short-ish.  :)

 I think it's important to define what we're really talking about here, because the different sides spend so much time bickering and arguing over what means what that everyone's too tired to listen to what anyone is actually saying. So the following list will cover rights that are currently denied gay couples seeking legal recognition for their long-term, committed relationships (comparable to what traditional marriage supporters would call "marriage"). This is by no means meant to be a comprehensive list, and also, I'm not going to use the 'M' word, because I think to really understand this debate from a legal point of view, we have to set marriage aside and look at the issues. I'll come back to marriage and all that later, though.



RIGHTS CURRENTLY DENIED LGBT COUPLES UNDER CURRENT LEGISLATION

  • Equal access to housing -- Basically, this is right on. There need to be regulations ensuring non-discrimination in the housing market. Housing needs to be both affordable and available for those in need, regardless of sexual orientation.
  • Joint ownership of property -- This extends into a lot of finer details, but basically, there are no laws in place allowing for LGBT couples to jointly own property, to equitably divide property (and debt) in the case of dissolution of a relationship, or to inherit property in the absence of a will. Some of these can be averted through various legal measures, but from what I can tell, the process is lengthy and complicated. I see absolutely no reason why this has not been previously addressed. 
  • Next-of-kin privileges for hospital visitation and emergency medical decisions -- Clearly, if a couple has sought legal recognition of their domestic partnership, the two have some sort of interest in the well-being of their respective partners. I'm not saying that partners or spouses or kids are better able to make decisions than, for example, a non-relative doctor or a social worker, but at the same time, if we afford heterosexual couples those privileges, they ought to be similarly afforded to those seeking alternative lifestyles.
  • Access to joint medical, homeowner's, and automobile insurance -- This is pretty self-explanatory. Something like this has no connection with gender or sexual orientation, unless of course you are saying that teenage guys and old ladies are bad drivers, and then you'd be right.
  • Social security benefits, joint tax benefits, etc. -- This entails a whole slew of financial benefits, but I want to clarify that here, I'm talking about only those benefits associated with the partnership itself and not with having children. That distinction is important, I think, because such benefits are given for different purposes. Supporters of traditional marriage might contend that marriage tax benefits are given to provide for greater stability, which in turn facilitates having children. I agree, but I would rebut that whether or not a couple has children, long-term, committed relationships, whether heterosexual or homosexual, do in fact, to some extent or another, lend to the stability of the nation as a whole. I am perhaps going out on a limb in saying this, but I feel that that-- namely stability within the nation-- is the primary purpose of those specific tax benefits, regardless of the desire or ability of parents to conceive children. If it were the case otherwise, heterosexual couples choosing to abstain from bearing children and those physically or emotionally incapable of bearing children would have to be likewise excluded. However, I'll address "child tax credits" and other similar benefits below.
  •  "Child tax credits" and other similar benefits -- In short, because LGBT couples cannot jointly adopt children in many states, they may lose out on tax benefits associated with childcare. I personally believe that the best place for children is in a home with a mother and a father. That, I hold to unequivocally, and you can think whatever you want about me for it. The reality is, though, that there are a lot of kids-- likely well over three hundred thousand, if stats from 2005 are at all indicative-- that are already being raised by LGBT parents. The tax benefits, according to their nature, are given to better enable parents to adequately care for their children, and on one hand, denying LGBT couples those monetary benefits seems like it would disservice only the children. However, I can't adequately separate the religious and the political aspects of this specific question, so I remain neutral on this one and state simply that it is a right that LGBT couples are vying for.
  • Adoption of children -- This is, as with the previous question, one where my personal religious and social beliefs (i.e. both from a spiritual and a secular point of view) conflict with the interests of the LGBT community. I hold that a family with a single mother and a single father is the best place to raise children, so while I recognize that LGBT couples can be just as loving as heterosexual couples (or more so), I still personally can't support gay adoptions. That's a huge can on worms, though, so I'll have to address that in a different post if there's any general interest in hearing my thoughts on the topic.

There are a other rights in question as well, but this was not meant to be comprehensive. Rather, it was meant to highlight some specific trends within our modern culture. See, the problem is we've confounded two very different questions in one big, nonsensical shouting match, and it's not doing anything to take us closer to understanding one another or solving any sort of problem. Rather, it is unnecessarily dividing us and forcing us into ideological corners that restrict us from seeing the whole picture.

Photo by Tiffany Gill
With the exception of the adoption question and issues associated directly with it, supporters of traditional marriage and LGBT rights activists are talking about two entirely different questions. The traditional marriage guys are shouting, "Protect marriage!" and the LGBT community is shouting, "Protect our rights!" but all the marriage supporters hear is "Destroy marriage!" and all the LGBT community hears is "Deny them their rights!" I get the feeling that LGBT activists aren't concerned so much about the word 'marriage' as they are about the rights, and I might be wrong, but I think it's safe to say that most supporters of traditional marriage aren't so opposed to extending basic rights so long as the idea of marriage is protected and preserved. Obviously, there are still some big questions to be sorted out, but I think we're not listening to each other very much, and that's where most of the conflict arises. 

I almost wonder whether most of the problems would disappear if LGBT activists called it garriage instead of marriage.

So..... to state my views concisely (which apparently is not a strength, judging by the length of this post), I support LGBT rights. I don't support LGBT adoptions, but I think that's a question that we, as a society, need to set aside and discuss separately, as it centers around entirely different questions and in my opinion represents the primary source of conflict between LGBT activists and supporters of traditional marriage. Most everything else, I think, can be resolved if the different groups will try to recognize each other's point of view and work toward meeting the needs of all involved parties.

We like to wrap things and people in neat little brown packages with string, because then the world is much easier to comprehend. We don't have to worry about what's inside, and we can go about sorting and labeling everything and everyone without further thought. But that's not how people work. And that's not how politics should work, either.

To my LGBT friends that are trying to find their place in the world, I love you all. I think about you a lot more than you maybe think I do.

10 comments:

  1. You're awesome, Bayles! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the real issue is that the LGBT community wants everyone to agree with there lifestyle, so they demand marriage as opposed to equal civil unions and then they hide behind rights to try and push their agenda. I think they would have equal rights by now if they would agree to not call it marriage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "and I might be wrong" Yes I think you are wrong, in many states LGBT have protections for most if not all of the listed "issues" above. This is in fight for the Label of marriage, and the label is acceptance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments! Craig, I think you're right that a lot places do have protection for these rights, but there are a lot of places that still have almost no civil protections for members of non-traditional partnerships. I think it was MLK that said "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." In any case, I'll be putting together a response post over the next couple of days to address some of the thoughts and concerns that various readers have expressed. The fight for the label of marriage will definitely be one of the topics I touch upon, so stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good article. I have some thoughts to share. I've been pretty vocal about my stance on marriage. I have no problem with gays having equal rights, as long as the definition of marriage is not changed. I think there are too many implications in redefining the definition of marriage. If two gay people love each other, great. It's their lives. But to force a redefinition of marriage on everyone else is not right. Despite the media's spin on everything, there are STILL two sides to this argument. I feel JUST as uncomfortable about marriage being redefined as gays feel about it not being redefined. With today's political correctness and "the progressive way is the only way" attitude towards everything, I feel like conservatives are looked at as evil, antiquated roadblocks to some sort of utopian paradise (which is absolutely not the case). Remember how everyone (democrats) thought electing Obama would usher in a new age of peace, prosperity and change? Instead, we're more divided now than ever (politically and socially) and we've discovered that Obama is just another politician (no surprise there!). Just because something is "new" or "different" doesn't mean it's better. It's just "new" and "different." I think our society is so fixated on latching on to the next "big" (new) thing that we've become blinded to the idea and importance of permanence and stability. The moral, social and political foundations of this country are crumbling. And they have been for quite a while now. If everyone ditches long-standing, tested truths for whatever the progressive flavor of the week happens to be, we're going to fall. People will become confused. And confusion leads to depression and apathy. Adults can fend for themselves (at least some can). I'm primarily worried about future generations of children that will have to wade through all of the confusion. The sad thing is that most of the country will have no idea our society is in free fall until it crashes. And then it's too late. It's not one thing that will cause our society to fall. It's the accumulation of lots of things (some big, some small). Redefining marriage, in my opinion, is one of the bigger things that we're on the verge of doing that will have generational implications. But there are many other progressive ideas that have not helped this country (or any country for that matter). Am I saying a redefinition of marriage will unlock the gates of hell and swallow our society whole? No! But I definitely think it's a step in the wrong direction (and just like gays are able to have a strong opinion, so am I!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Russell. You might have noticed that in the post, I never stated that I am in support of gay marriage. I stated simply that I support certain rights (which I listed) and have serious reservations about others, both on a secular and a spiritual basis. I am a strong supporter of marriage as a religious institution between a man and a woman, and I hope that in laying out some of my thoughts as to the non-religious aspects of this matter (i.e. the rights that are not tied directly to our foundational understanding of marriage and the family), I have not given the idea that I somehow do not support traditional marriage. I withheld my views on "the M word" and on adoption, issues that I feel are religious in nature and which have clear moral/religious connections, and those will be addressed in a post to come. I just want to make it clear that this is not the bleeding-heart plea of a crowd-chasing parrot to get gay marriage legalized. I personally don't support the redefinition of marriage, but I don't think that that means we need to ignore LGBT people's legitimate requests for basic civil rights. You said that Conservatives seem to have gotten a bad name, but so have Liberals and Progressives, if you think about it. Look at the roots: liberal -- "generous, noble, selfless, free"; progressive -- "characterized by advancement." Somehow, though, that idea of charity and progress have been pejorated to mean 'radical, destructive, disruptive, etc.' I don't affiliate myself formally with either group, but the point that I'm trying to make is that we need to open our eyes to the concerns of others. We need to see people as people and not as issues. We need to really know what we're arguing about or what we're not arguing about. And above all, we need to have empathy, even though we may have differing views on things. I am a supporter of traditional marriage, but at the same time, I feel that there is a significant amount of contradiction within existing laws as pertaining to secular/monetary questions, as addressed in the post. Anyway, I'll be writing another post soon about my religious convictions, particularly with regard to LGBT marriage and adoption, so stay tuned. Thanks again for the comment!

      Delete
  6. "I almost wonder whether most of the problems would disappear if LGBT activists called it garriage instead of marriage."

    This made me happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe the term that Stephen Colbert uses is "Manriage"

      Delete
  7. I agree with you that we're not listening to each other. Having lived in California during the Prop 8 campaign, all my passionate opinions on this topic have been pretty much deflated. All I see is a nation that has continued to attempt to rip itself apart through this topic--people continue to feel hated and unloved, on both sides of the debate. (Not unlike the issue of abortion.)

    The truth is, although gay marriage supporters are looking for civil rights, their primary prize is acceptance. If all they wanted was civil rights, they would probably have them by now, like you said. They are looking for society's stamp of approval, because they feel hated (and a lot of terribly cruel, confused, or misinformed people really do hate and fear them). This isn't just my opinion; I learned the truth of this from reading the decision by California's supreme court to determine the constitutionality of Prop 8. Most of the decision revolved around acceptance rather than civil rights.

    I think if the people in our country could be more loving and less judgmental, we would never have to sacrifice the definition of marriage, because no one would ever ask us to. It ought to be the shame of this country, of this world in fact, that we have allowed a group's mission to find love and acceptance to cause us to be more judgmental, hardened, and angry (again, on both sides of the debate). I am not expressing an opinion on this issue. I'm expressing sadness that everyone MUST express their opinion (even to the destruction of close relationships), that we all feel the need to fight each other every chance we get, and that we have dragged this issue in the dirt far longer than it ever should have needed to be.

    Thank you, Greg, for finding a thoughtful way to examine the issues and express your opinions without provoking argument or being disrespectful. I wish more people would treat this issue the way you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And just to clarify, I'm not saying no one should ever express their opinion on this topic. I'm just saying that people seem to think it's their duty to express their opinion in whatever form they feel like (often without respect), no matter who it hurts. (Or how inappropriate the time or place.) As important as freedom of speech is, I'm not sure that means we need to use it to be cruel and disrespectful.

      Delete