Blog Header

Blog Header

Friday, September 6, 2013

The Face Behind Emoticons

One of my deep dark secrets is that I overuse exclamation points when texting and emailing. The hardest part is, it's a conscious thing. I don't finish a text only to find that somehow T9 has changed every period to an exclamation point (though it does seem to enjoy turning my every instance of "happy" into "guppy"). Rather, I go through my texts and  substitute in exclamation points in place of any periods that might mistakenly convey disinterest or lack of excitement on my part.

It is almost certainly a neurosis. 

The thing is, I just worry that people will "read me" wrong, because there is so much more to communication than just words. Words are great--don't get me wrong--but in the end, they serve as only an approximation of the rich array of feelings and interactions that make up the human experience. There is an implicit loss in meaning and complexity as emotion and perception are distilled to concrete thoughts and and then reduced and quantified within the arbitrariness of words.

Interestingly, however, we have developed pretty interesting ways of putting humanity and meaning back into text-based communication through emoticons. Though in some sense text sterilizes human interactions, removing the verbal emotion that might be present, say, in a phone call or the visual communication implicit in a face-to-face conversation, we have found ways of inserting ourselves--or at least our faces--back into even the most restrictive or limiting textual environments. Combinations of otherwise independently meaningless punctuation marks have become, instead, textual extensions of the human body, reintroducing facial expression into a form that, because of physical separation, would otherwise be preclusive to such levels of communication. Through emoticons, we become capable of conveying a much broader range of emotion and expression, which provides in turn for a more pleasurable, more human interaction as a whole. Go ahead... tell me this isn't the case the next time you see a ;) in the King James Version of the Bible. I know I smile every time I see it. And okay, maybe "I'm sad" is a perfectly fine sentiment to express, but it can hardly compare to the simplicity and elegance of :(  I mean... look at that frown. That guy is really sad.

One class mate of mine remarked the other day, "Too bad there's not a font for sarcasm." The idea maybe sounds a little bit out of the ordinary, but maybe it's not too far-fetched. I mean, we have emoticons for emotion, italics and bold for emphasis, and all caps for people over 60 who text, so why not a font for sarcasm as well?

No comments:

Post a Comment