Blog Header

Blog Header

Thursday, January 9, 2014

Seek: 1

I've been mulling over a novel idea for about a year now, and it's been a lot of fun to think about different characters or scenes that I want to include, but I haven't really ever gotten around to plotting out the story, so I figured this would be as good a time as ever. I've been looking into the hero's journey of late, and I've realized that what I do have so far is actually pretty close to the beginning of the heroic journey, so I may see if I can kind of use the general model as a template to build upon. I've also thought about splitting up my story ideas into a couple of novels, as I have a ton that I want to address, but my fear is that I will lose track of the main ideas that I want to convey throughout the piece as a whole. I think what I've decided, though, is that each really is a different story, and I need to focus on one first (Jonah's) and then retell it in a second novel from another (Simeon's) point of view. Anyway, I'm going to start writing now, and I don't know when I'll stop.



Jonah Cross is a 17-year-old boy growing up in the Middle Districts of Kaios, just outside the Founders' Wall. He lives a normal life with his mother until his 14th birthday, when he is selected to study in an elite Inner-Ring academy in preparation for civil service as a politician or scholar. [Rector, to Jonah: "The things you learn over the next few years will prepare you to provide a great service to your common man. You will uphold truth and justice as you fight against the powers that would drag humanity down." (given by overbearing rector of the academy, who has in mind that he will serve through the govt. rather than that he will, in the end, be fighting against that same govt. using the things that he realizes/learns over the years that follow)]. It is there that he has his first lessons in the Onim, technological artifacts left over from the days of the Founders. [It was the Onim that made it possible for the Founders to build the four great cities--one upon the waters of the southern seas, one called forth from stones of the western canyons, one conjured up beneath the cliffs of the wintry north, and Kaios, born in the womb of the eastern woods/jungle. The Founders were seekers of wisdom and truth, and it was in the ancient paradise of Saad that the Founders first harnessed the power of the eternal spark--the eskra--infusing into crystal spheres, or Onim, the essences of the various elements.] Jonah is taught in the use pyrric spheres, containing the essence of fire, and Technis spheres, recently invented Onim that contain "the essence of energy itself." Jonah excels in his studies and is intrigued by the raw power of the Onim, the use of which is forbidden to regular people.

Just weeks before Jonah's 18th birthday, he receives a notice that he has been conscripted for service in the Salamander Legion, an elite mercenary group that oversees the safety of Kaios from external threats (and the only group authorized to use the few pyrric spheres remaining from the age of the Founders. He joins without hesitation, thinking that the extra money will be the thing that allows his mom to finally move into the Inner Ring and stop having to work so hard.
-------

A work-in-progress map for everything. Kaios is the big
dot on the right, and Shibboleth is the one on the left.
The Founders tamed the wilds with their newfound gift, and for a time, Saad was truly a paradise for those that dwelt therein. There was no hunger. There was no cold. The sick were made whole at the touch of Saad's healers, and the earth yielded up the richness of her bounties. The people were of one will and dwelt in peace.

[Simeon discovers Technis. Kaiya questions him: "How can you live with yourself, knowing that your creation is being used to kill and oppress?" / "You see only the bad. Technis is what powers the whole of the city of Kaios ["the Eastern Star"]; it is light of Technis that lights the streets of the Eastern Star, that powers its railways, that drives the factories that make clothes for the people and the agrocolonies that make the food that sustains the people themselves. Besides," he said, tapping the back of his metal hand, "it's what keeps me going, keeps me inventing and doing what I love best. And, as your father will attest to, it's the future of Shibboleth. So don't count it out."]

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Jonah doesn't really love Kaiya at first. Talking to Scout about how he [Scout] just can't understand how much he [Jonah] loves her. He's too young, and they have something too special. "You don't even love her... you love the idea of her. You love that you can say you're in love, but you're not." Scout stomps off. Later, Jonah realizes this is true, goes up to her to tell her. "Kaiya, we need to talk. I've been thinking a lot about everything, and I still don't understand everything, but I think I realized that I don't really love you. Not how I should."
"You don't love me? That's what you wanted to tell me? And that's supposed to make it better? You're really something, Jonah Cross, you know that? You've got some real gall to say that."
"Kai, you know that's not what I meant."
"You know what? I'm done with this. I'm done with you. You can go save the world or whatever on your own, because I'm done. I'm going home."
"Kai, don't leave." Only the stones hear his plea. "Kaiya..."

Later, he learns what it really means to love. In the end, he
sacrifices himself to save her. "Kaiya, I love you. I love you. I do."
"Jonah, you wonderful, wonderful boy, you still don't understand." She spoke through tears. "We were supposed to be together. We can't be together if you--" Her voice broke off in a sob, and he wrapped his arms around her.
"Life has a way of turning everything that we know on its head," he whispered. "And sometimes truth is about realizing what we have to do and just accepting it. I am not afraid."
Kaiya looked up into his eyes and smiled painfully. "And who do you suppose is going to make sense of this unintelligible world? Who's going to carry on your quest for truth?"
"Kaiya, I have found my truth. Your love is my truth. You are my greatest truth."

//////

PART I

Intro
Initial idea of the couatl is basically a giant, saddled gecko.
Drawing by Eurwentala (I'll put an original one up soon)
School -- walking to: class conflicts (going through Founder's wall), meeting kids in the street, riding the rails
History -- Onim, Founders, political state of affairs [Watchers instead of Mercs for late night patrols?]
Conscripted -- getting outfitted. Explaining raid, rebels, Seekers. Jonah doesn't yet know how to ride couatls, so he'll be on the back of the lieutenant's and will handle the pyrris sphere.
Raid -- There was a girl there; locked eyes, and she looked afraid, then angry. All she saw through the smoke was the blossom of sparks as her home erupted into flames and we sped off into the night.
What happens when you're too afraid to do what you know is right?
Court martial -- No time for you to change. You have to go now (still in black Legion uniform)
Escape from Kaios -- Jabul (spice merchant), Simeon, Ronan (?); using Dariim to open passageway through wall
Chase / Rescue -- Pursued by Watchers. Awkward rescue by Kaiya. Recognizes him, angry. He explains that it wasn't him that he didn't have it in him to burn the village, and that's why he is running. Kaiya believes him (WHY?) Rejection in village. Esp. because of uniform. People spitting on him. Jael there with Kaiya (they are just visiting for a few weeks). Kaiya: "What do we do with him?" Take him to your grandmother; she'll know.
Dream weaver (grandmother) -- obscure prophesies, gives Jonah bios shard (tooth?)
Second Raid -- Walking back. Screams. Run, village being raided again. Jonah and Lieutenant lock eyes. Lieut. draws hand back to shoot a plume of fire at Jonah but screams as an arrow pierces his forearm. Jonah turns to see Kaiya unleash another arrow, which plants itself deep in the hide of the lieutenant's couatl. Lieut. calls a retreat. Jael appears, a look of worry across his face. Jael and Kaiya embrace, Jonah standing apart.

PART II (to be continued)


No comments:

Post a Comment